Helping hands helping one another with our family history & genealogy research.
PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania, September 27, 1931 – A shield which in 1849 decorated the coffin of Captain John Gwinn, commander of the frigate Constitution, was presented to the Historical Museum aboard Old Ironsides here today by members of the Liberty Bell Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. On the varnished plaque, received by Lieutenant A. D. Clark in the absence of Captain Louis J. Gulliver, are two silver plates inscribed: “Died September 4, 1849, in command of the U.S. Frigate Constitution, at Palermo, Sicily,” and “Presented by Commander Charles J. O’Neill, Liberty Bell Post 1906, Veterans of Foreign Wars, U.S. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.” The grave of Captain Gwinn was recently discovered in an abandoned cemetery in this city. Leaders of the Veterans of Foreign Wars brought about the reburial in Arlington National Cemetery.
Captain John Gwinn III was the son of John Jr. and Mary Good Gwinn, both of Maryland. He was born 11 June 1791 at Taneytown, Frederick County, Maryland. He married Caroline S. Lynch, 22 December 1823 at St. Peters Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Looking for additional information on Mary Good.